[gdal-dev] GDAL drivers written in Python

Knut-Frode Dagestad knutfrodesoppel at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 03:51:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

Our group is looking at the possibility to use GDAL with Python bindings
for our work with satellite data. One limitation seems however to be
missing/incomplete drivers, as we have no capacity to implement new
drivers in C.

It seems however to me that the Python API allows to create GDAL
Datasets from data which in principle could be read by any non-GDAL
functions, e.g. PyHDF or self-made Python readers.

My question is therefore: is there in principle any important
differences or limitations with datasets created this way, compared to
datasets read with native GDAL drivers?

Best regards from Knut-Frode