[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL drivers written in Python

Knut-Frode Dagestad knutfrodesoppel at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 05:50:04 EDT 2011

Hi Even,

On 06.04.2011 20:21, Even Rouault wrote:
> You can certainly write a (non-GDAL) reader in Python, but of course, you
> won't be able to benefit from the GDAL API with the "dataset" returned by your
> reader, or using them in software that use the GDAL API.

But if I use the GDAL API to create a GDAL Dataset and then insert a
matrix of data (read with non-GDAL code), and further add some
georeferencing or tie-points, it seems to me that I then can utilize
GDAL API functionality for e.g. reprojecting, subsetting and exporting,
just the same way as if it was read with a GDAL-driver?

> There are possible workarounds if the base GDAL driver recognizes the imagery
> but not the georeferencing. In that case, you can try adding .aux.xml files
> (might not work in all cases. really depend if the driver fallbacks to the PAM
> mechanism), or wrapping the imagery into a VRT file to add the georeferencing
> (will work in all cases at the expense of a small overhead, generally
> unnoticeable)

Thank you for useful suggestions, I will look into these features.

> Of course, the best for the good of the GDAL community and project would be to
> contribute (or contract someone) to improving the existing drivers if they
> have defects or need improvements.

I agree this is ideal. Since we must focus on downstream applications
(geophysical algorithms) we cannot dig too deep into the core driver
programming. But hopefully it is still manageable, it is anyway good to
see that Antonio has very similar needs and interests as our group.

Best regards from Knut-Frode