[gdal-dev] OGR feature style spec and LABEL style parts - not working apparently

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Apr 7 20:31:24 EDT 2011

Hi Simon,

It is possible that this may be a limitation of the MITAB driver. I
don't have time to check now, and won't have time for the next two weeks
at least, but if you bring this up again at the end of April then I
could have a look and see how involved that would be to support.

On 11-04-07 11:07 AM, Simon Payne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using GDAL v. 1.7.1 to programmatically generate MapInfo TAB files to record sets of features (mainly point geometries).  The file generation is being done within Java code, using the .  I would like to label each point based on a field in the feature, as is said to be possible in the OGR Feature Style Specification documentation at http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html.  However, the generated TAB files don't contain a trace of LABEL styling.  On the contrary, when I use SYMBOL styling, this works fine.
>
> To clarify, I would like to view the generated TAB files using MapInfo v. 8.5.  The SYMBOL styling appears OK but no trace of LABELs.  And when I run ogrinfo against the TAB file, again there is no sign of the LABEL.  It seems that it doesn't work for me.
>
> Here is the style string I have been trying to get working:
>
> LABEL(f:"Arial, Helvetica", s:12pt, t:"Hello World!")
>
> I thought I'd start simple, before trying to factor in the dynamic field value lookup.
>
> Please can anyone advise if there is something I am unaware of, that needs to be configured to get the LABEL styling to be written correctly to file?  Could the OGR MapInfo driver be incompatible in some extent with the FSS?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon Payne
>

> 1Spatial: Steering you towards efficient and reliable location-based data with the 1Spatial Data Improvement Process
>
> http://www.1spatial.com/improve_your_data/
>
> 1Spatial Group Limited; Registered in England No. 4785688 VAT Reg. No. 816329821; Registered Office: Tennyson House; Cambridge Business Park; Cambridge; CB4 0WZ; United Kingdom
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE
>
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of 1Spatial Group Limited, its subsidiaries or associated companies, except where the author specifically states them to be the views of 1Spatial Group Limited, its subsidiaries or associated companies.
>
> 1Spatial Group Limited, its subsidiaries and associated companies will not be held liable for any legally binding obligations that are not the subject of an official 1Spatial purchase order or as part of a contract signed by a director of one of the aforementioned companies.

> [...]

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/