[gdal-dev] gdalinfo doesn't show GEOS projection info

kingkastle kingkastle4004 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 10:24:35 EDT 2011

Greetings,

I'm working with hdf5 file  with the following attributes:

(obtained with hdfview)
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n6265339/hdf5view.bmp

However, when I gdalinfo the file, I get the following information:
Driver: HDF5Image/HDF5 Dataset
Files: none associated
Size is 1701, 651
Coordinate System is:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
   DATUM["WGS_1984",
       SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
           AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
       TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
       AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
   PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
       AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
   UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
       AUTHORITY["EPSG","9108"]],
   AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  651.0)
Upper Right ( 1701.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 1701.0,  651.0)
Center      (  850.5,  325.5)
Band 1 Block=1701x1 Type=Int16, ColorInterp=Undefined
 Metadata:
   DSSF:CLASS=Data
   DSSF:PRODUCT=DSSF
   DSSF:PRODUCT_ID=111
   DSSF:N_COLS=1701
   DSSF:N_LINES=651
   DSSF:NB_BYTES=2
   DSSF:SCALING_FACTOR=10
   DSSF:OFFSET=0
   DSSF:MISSING_VALUE=-1
   DSSF:UNITS=W/m**2
   DSSF:CAL_SLOPE=1
   DSSF:CAL_OFFSET=0

So, basically I can't see in the gdalinfo the following information:

+) Proyection used
+) Origin
+) Pixel size

In fact, when I do gdal-translate the file created is not georeferenced
rightly.

In my opinion, the problem is that the hdf5 attributes are imcomplete or not
rightly defined,

Please let me know your opinion

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Rafa