[gdal-dev] gdalinfo doesn't show GEOS projection info

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 12 10:44:06 EDT 2011

On 11-04-12 10:24 AM, kingkastle wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm working with hdf5 file  with the following attributes:
>
> (obtained with hdfview)
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n6265339/hdf5view.bmp
>
> However, when I gdalinfo the file, I get the following information:
> Driver: HDF5Image/HDF5 Dataset
> Files: none associated
> Size is 1701, 651
> Coordinate System is:
> GEOGCS["WGS 84",
>     DATUM["WGS_1984",
>         SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
>             AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
>         TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
>         AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
>     PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
>         AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
>     UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
>         AUTHORITY["EPSG","9108"]],
>     AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]
> Corner Coordinates:
> Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
> Lower Left  (    0.0,  651.0)
> Upper Right ( 1701.0,    0.0)
> Lower Right ( 1701.0,  651.0)
> Center      (  850.5,  325.5)
> So, basically I can't see in the gdalinfo the following information:
>
> +) Proyection used
> +) Origin
> +) Pixel size
>
> In fact, when I do gdal-translate the file created is not georeferenced
> rightly.
>
> In my opinion, the problem is that the hdf5 attributes are imcomplete or not
> rightly defined,
>
> Please let me know your opinion
>
> Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Rafa,

One challenge with HDF5 (and HDF4) products is that coordinate system
and other georeferencing metadata may be included in a wide variety of
forms.  This aspect is not well standardized - or at least the standards
that exist are often not followed.  So, in this case, GDAL is not able
to deduce the coordinate system or geotransform.  It seems like there
*might* be enough metadata available to construct coordinate system
information for this dataset but it would likely require a fair amount
of fooling around to implement and verify.

If the data is public you might want to file a GDAL ticket with a pointer
to the dataset and the metadata report along with a request to support
this georeferencing format.  But I must confess I am unlikely to work
on it unless I have client interest.