[gdal-dev] ftp user and password with vsizip/vsicurl

Eli Adam EAdam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Apr 12 11:26:02 EDT 2011

Is it possible to use vsizip and vsicurl on a password protected ftp site?

Something like this command with user and password passed somehow:

ogrinfo -ro -al -so /vsizip/vsicurl/ftp://example.com/foldername/file.zip/example.shp

I rather hopefully tried some switches, -user:user -password:password, which did not work.

Thanks for the vsi support, it is awesome!  For vsizip/gz/tar, I find this wiki page very useful, http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/ReadInZip  I can find all the gdal drivers that support virtual files by following the directions on that page (driver marked with 'v' when running 'gdalinfo --formats').  I tried a similar approach for ogr (ogrinfo --formats and looked for 'v') without learning much.  Is there a way to determine virtual file support in ogr?  I found that shp is supported by successfully testing it and recalling an IRC mention.

Most of what I find for vsicurl is here, http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/Release/1.8.0-News  Is there somewhere else that I should look for documentation on vsicurl?  I gave a shot at adding information to the vsizip wiki page, can someone review it to make sure that I am not spreading false information and correct or delete it if needed?  I added to the vsizip page rather than making a different page since vsicurl is often used with vsizip.  Currently, the example commands that I put there give an error claiming that the .shx is corrupt.  For instance, ogrinfo -ro -al -so /vsicurl/http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest/ogr/data/poly.shp

Any help appreciated, Eli