[gdal-dev] Re: LAS format driver for OGR?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Apr 17 17:29:13 EDT 2011

Stefan Keller wrote:

>> Some time ago I have written a tool to dump LAS data to virtually
>> any OGR dataset:
>>
>> http://liblas.org/utilities/las2ogr.html
>
> I'll have a look at http://liblas.org/utilities/las2ogr.html
>
> My goal is to import it in PostGIS and a Java program.

las2ogr should work here.

Stefan Keller wrote:

>>> Scanning this mailing list I could not find an answer except to use
>>> LAStools. But since LAS is essentially just a simple vector point data
>>
>> Considering point clouds in terms of (only) a simple vector point data is
>> a misunderstanding.
>
> You're right. I should have written:
> LAS is essentially vector point data plus a (more or less?) fixed
> number of properties like color.

The extra properties are not the case here. The point is that it is not a
vector data.
A point cloud is neither vector nor raster. It is a raw point cloud which
can be processed depending on your needs, to form of vector or form of
raster.

Dumping a point cloud to PostGIS and trying to make a vector sense of it
without any relevant processing has very little sense, IMHO.

-----
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net