[gdal-dev] Raster size and ReadAsArray()

Jay L. jzl5325 at psu.edu
Wed Aug 3 11:04:18 EDT 2011

I have been working on this problem as well.  Initially, the attempt was to
ReadAsArray small chunks.  Unfortunately this is quite inefficient.  Someone
more knowledgeable will know why, but I suspect it has to do with either
thrashing or the fact that full blocks are not being read in (as is the case
when a 5000x5000 pixel block is read in on a 12567, 12764 GTiff).

My intention this morning is to try to implement an if statement which
checks total file size and breaks it down into manageable (500MB maybe)
chunks.  Then using numpy slices, I can read, slice, mask, and manipulate as
needed.

Again, the biggest issue I have had with this issue is performance.
 Profiling shows that _gdal.IORaster is utilizing a ton of CPU time.

Hope that helps,
Jay