[gdal-dev] save raster as point-vector file

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 07:38:23 EDT 2011

Mateusz,

gdal2xyz.py creates space delimited fields. Consider running it with the
-csv option to delimit it with comma.
Now you can almost use it as a csv format vector file. You just need to add
a header row and define a small VRT file as described in OGR's CSV driver
page[1].
Run ogrinfo and ogr2ogr on the .vrt file to check the file.

[1]: http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_csv.html

2011/8/9 Mateusz Kędzior <matandked at gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> I would like to show value of each raster cell as label. My idea (I don't
> know any plugin or any functionality in GDAL/OGR which allow to do it
> easier) is to export raster using gdal2xyz.py into coordinates-value format
> and then save it as vector (GML or shapefile). For this second task, I try
> to use
>
> =================================================================================================================================================
> gdal_polygonize.py:
> gdal_polygonize.py rainfXYZ.txt rainf.shp Creating output rainf.shp of
> format GML. 0...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90...100 - done.

> unfortunately I am unable to load created file (even if I change the
> extension to .gml)
> ogr2ogr tool don't even recognize this format.

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584
17.2416N 80.1426E