[gdal-dev] gdal_translate eats projection parameter values

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Fri Aug 12 13:27:01 EDT 2011

On 12/08/2011 17:37, Even Rouault wrote:
> Selon Hermann Peifer<peifer at gmx.eu>:
> In fact, it is not a bug, but just one of those annoying subtelties you
> encounter when playing with projections.
> So :
> gdal_translate dummy.asc dummy.tif -a_srs ESRI::ETRS_1989_LAEA_L52_M10.prj
> Or you could just copy ETRS_1989_LAEA_L52_M10.prj as dummy.prj, because the
> AAIGRID driver will automatically consider that a .prj file is a ESRI one.
> Best regards,
> Even

Frank, Even,

Thanks for the quick response, I will do as you suggested. I wasn't
aware of the ESRI:: prefix and wrongly assumed that GDAL would always
auto-detect ESRI-isms in the projection files and morph them.

The background of the issue is that we disseminate a series of
GDAL-generated GeoTIFFs (all in EPSG:3035) via a public website,

 From experience, I know that ESRI users have trouble with some
projection and parameter names generated by GDAL and vice versa. Is it
possible to convince GDAL to store coordinate system information in a
way that would be "ESRI-friendly" and "GDAL-friendly" at the same time
(and follow the OGC-WKT "standard", as far as it exists ... I can't find
it at http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards) ?

Thanks again for your time, Hermann