[gdal-dev] Re: Add an option to allow opening datasets/datasources from SWIG bindings even in case of error ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 2 01:29:48 EST 2011

>> But is there a way to test for failure state and convert it into a
>> warning? I don't mean changing anything in GDAL itself, only add some
>> clever code into the bindings? Clearing the failure state is possible,
>> could we fetch the error message and raise a warning?

Folks,

For reference, I believe the bindings should behave specially
for GDALOpen and OGROpen and that they ought to *not* through
an exception even if an error was set as long as the function
returns a non-NULL pointer.

Unfortunately I find the bindings logic challenging at times,
and I don't want to step on the toes of the bindings maintainers,
so I have not tried to apply my approach.

I agree with the poster who suggesting having an "ignore errors"
flag for open isn't a great solution.  It just further complicates
something that doesn't really need to be complicated.