[gdal-dev] how to get gis layer information from GeoPDF (e.g. retrieve building polygon coordinates)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 2 17:30:04 EST 2011

Jared,

I looked into the Poppler library a while ago and decided it was
possible to use it in a way that would allow extracting features
at the vector level from GeoPDF.  However, it also looked to be
quite a complex task and it would be capturing vector drawing
primitives which might not be 1:1 with the GIS features used to
produce the pdf.   I'm thinking 2-3 months work to do a decent
job of an OGR GeoPDF driver and even at that it would not be
returning nice GIS features - just gis objects with some attributes
about the draw style.

Best regards,