[gdal-dev] Newbie question about gdal_grid for 3d data

Andreas H. lists at hilboll.de
Wed Dec 14 09:03:24 EST 2011

Hi again,

another question which shows I'm just starting to see if GDAL can actually
make my life easier :)

I'm working with atmospheric trace gas profiles, so one data"point"
consists of latitude, longitude (point or polygon, whichever is easier)
and many vertical layers, say 60 floating point values. I ultimately want
to create a global 1°x1° grid where all data"points" are put into and
averaged.

While I can see that gdal_grid will probably do the job, I cannot see a)
how exactly and, more importantly, b) in which format I should prepare the
input files. I'm preparing the data with some home-grown Python scripts,
and I'm quite familiar with HDF and NC formats ...

Thanks for your insight!
Andreas.