[gdal-dev] re-gridding to a coarser grid

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Thu Dec 15 13:39:09 EST 2011

For what it's worth,

What do you consider large and what kind of method for downscaling you
wish to use?

  I do this in GRASS using the r.neighbors command,
http://grass.fbk.eu/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.neighbors.html.   I've
done an averaging method to convert a 20 ft elevation grid  ( statewide
coverage)  of approximately 7 billion cells to an averaged 60 ft grid (
777 million cells)  by performing a 3x3 neighbor hood analysis  on the 20
ft grid, setting the GRASS workspace resolution to 60 ft and multiplying
the 20ft grid created by the  3x3 neighborhood analysis by 1 to create a
new grid (
http://grass.fbk.eu/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.mapcalculator.html)   .
GRASS will take the value of the center averaged 20 ft cell in the 60ft
block as the value of the cell in the new 60 ft raster.

options for r.neigbors calculations are :
average,median,mode,minimum,maximum,range,stddev,sum,variance,diversity,interspersion

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

Tim Keitt <tkeitt at gmail.com>
Sent by: gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
12/15/2011 01:17 PM

"Andreas H." <lists at hilboll.de>
cc
gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org
Subject
Re: [gdal-dev] re-gridding to a coarser grid

If you need complete control, and your data are not too massive in
number, I have had good results pushing pixel coordinates as points
into postgis and then using spatial queries to aggregate in various
ways (eg averages a hexagonal grid). It seems round-about, but it
works. I've actually done it on some pretty massive grids.

THK

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Andreas H. <lists at hilboll.de> wrote:
> Travis,
>
> thanks for your answer!
>
> Regarding the resampling methods: Do they all just interpolate the data?
> mean, when downsampling, usually I would use mean() or something similar
> to fill the new (coarser) grid cells. Doas gdalwarp actually do this and
> I'm not able to understand the documentation, or is it different?
>
> Thanks again!
> Andreas.
>

>> Andreas,
>>
>> gdalwarp can be used to resample images using the -tr flag or -ts flag.
>>
>> For example resample 1m image to 10m using cubic resampling and
>> "target resolution'
>>
>> gdalwarp -r cubic -tr 10 10 input_1m.tif output_10m.tif
>>
>> You may have an issue determining the output resolution as I believe
>> the resolution will be in decimal degrees rather than arc-seconds.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On 13 December 2011 14:52, Andreas H. <lists at hilboll.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> let's say I have a GeoTIFF file with a global grid in a 30 arc-second
>>> resolution. Which would be the appropriate GDAL command to spatially
>>> down-sample this file to say 0.125°?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your insight,
>>> Andreas.

Timothy H. Keitt