[gdal-dev] 1.9 Release Process

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Dec 16 15:04:13 EST 2011

Le vendredi 16 décembre 2011 15:48:30, Pirmin Kalberer a écrit :
> Hi Frank, all
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2011, um 08.31:22 schrieb Frank Warmerdam:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I would like to have a GDAL/OGR 1.9 release by the end of this year,
> > ideally before Christmas.  We have not formalized a release process
> > for the project, but I'd like to follow the approach of past years.
> > This basically consists of a few beta releases, followed by a release
> > candidate when things seem to be in good shape.  The release candidates
> > would be voted on by the PSC before becoming official.
> >
> > Anyone with significant work they would like to accomplish before 1.9.0
> > should reply to this thread with information on the planned work.
>
> I've created a patch adding read support for shapefile measure values:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2374
> If someone could review the patch, I would like to include it in trunk for
> the 1.9.0 release.

Pirmin,

I see you just report the M coordinate as the Z coordinate. I feel that the
approach proposed is a bit hackish... There should be a way for the user to
know if it is M or Z that he gets. IMHO, the right approach would be to
implement proper M support in OGR Geometry classes, and that the Shapefile
driver uses a specific method to set M values. I see there's explicit M support
in the OGC OpenGIS Implementation Specification for Geographic information -
Simple feature access - Part 1: Common architecture

That will require more work...

Best regards,

Even