[gdal-dev] gdal_translate making NITF-JPEG2000 : memory exhausted?

Jennings Jay Jennings.Jay at geoeye.com
Wed Feb 2 17:20:04 EST 2011

I have recently built GDAL including the optional JasPer library for JPEG-2000 support.  Using gdal_translate, I am able to convert smaller GeoTIFFs into NITFs with JPEG-2000 this way.  The first two attempts (both color uncompressed GeoTiff less than 200 MB) worked fine, with lossless compression and reduced in size by 67% and 59% respectively.

The problem came when I tried the same command on a bigger (950 MB) GeoTIFF:  gdal_translate apparently sucked up all available memory (as indicated by Physical Memory Free = 0 in Task Manager) then the app crashed.

Are there any workarounds in such a case ?  It looks like the "-multi" and "-wm" parameters aren't available in gdal_translate.

PS This is a Windows 7 64-bit machine with 8 GB RAM.

--Jay Jennings