[gdal-dev] gdal_rasterize 1.8.0 options

Eli Adam EAdam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Feb 4 15:08:17 EST 2011

Marius,

I don't know about 1. but possibilities for 2. and 3 below.

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Some of the options (I didn't test all) introduced with version 1.8.0
> seem to behave strangely. Here's what I'm doing:
> 1. gdal_rasterize -burn 0 -i -l mask mask.shp sample.tif
> works fine but I get the following warning:
> Warning : the output raster dataset and the input vector layer do not
> have the same SRS.
> Results might be incorrect (no on-the-fly reprojection of input data).
> even though both inputs use the same projection, EPSG:3844.
>
> 2. gdal_rasterize -burn 0 -i -a_srs EPSG:3844 -l mask mask.shp
> sample.tif
> fails with: '-tr xres yes' or '-ts xsize ysize' is required.
>
> 3. gdal_rasterize -burn 0 -i -a_nodata 0 -l mask mask.shp sample.tif
> fails with: '-tr xres yes' or '-ts xsize ysize' is required.
>
>>From http://www.gdal.org/gdal_rasterize.html it doesn't seem that -a_srs
> or -a_nodata would require -tr or -ts. Am I doing something wrong?

Does sample.tif exist?  If not, the docs say you need to use -tr or -ts, "Since GDAL 1.8.0, the target GDAL file can be created by gdal_rasterize. One of -tr or -ts option must be used in that case."  I don't know why that error would not also come from 1.

Bests, Eli