[gdal-dev] Reviving the PHP Bindings

Joris van de Sande joris.devplace at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 06:50:41 EST 2011

Hello,

This is a reply to the PHP Bindings thread that has been started by
Mike Leahy.I have just registered with the list, so I was not able to
reply to the thread.

I am also interested in getting the PHP bindings for GDAL up to date.
Right now we're using the gdal command line utilities a lot from
within PHP. We're relying on regular expressions to parse the output
at the moment. So it would make development a lot easier if we could
use the internal GDAL classes and functions from within PHP.

A few months ago I have created a little PHP module that converts
projection strings from wkt to proj format (and vice versa) using the
SpatialReference class. But it would be great if more functionality
could be used from inside PHP.

What can be done to revive the PHP bindings? Are more people interested

I am a PHP developer with some knowledge of C/C++. My main interest at
the moment are:
1. Using the SpatialReference class from within PHP
2. Retrieving map(meta)data like gdalinfo does from within PHP

Regards,
Joris van de Sande