[gdal-dev] Re: GetProjectionRef() difference 1.8 vs 1.7.2

cobalto scott.a.merritt at navy.mil
Mon Feb 14 20:30:09 EST 2011

> You can still force compute an approximate
> geotransform by calling GDALGCPsToGeoTransform( nGCPCount, psGCPs,
> adfGeoTransform, TRUE ). And the projection can indeed be fetched by
> GDALGetGCPProjection() when GCPs are returned instead of a geotransform.

These NITFs contain RPCs, so I mostly am unconcerned with the geotransform,
exact or approximated. However, proper interpretation of the RPCs requires
knowledge of the projection reference. In these cases, it seems somewhat
circuitous to look for a projection reference among the GCPs. If
GDALGCPsToGeoTransform() fails to return a geotransform, would there be any
reason not to set the projection reference to the GCP projection (but to
still have GetGeoTransform() return CE_Failure)? Is the dataset projection
reference ever set to something different than the GCP Projection?