[gdal-dev] Gdal2tiles in Gdal18 and creating KMZ files

Roland Duhaime roland.duhaime at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:14:04 EST 2011

I am following the instructions for creating one KMZ file that are posted
here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/Gdal2Tiles

I am using gdal2tiles under the "gdal" package 1.8.  I have having success
creating superoverlays and the related folder structure.  I am able to read
the created doc.kml in Google Earth.  However, when I attempt to zip up the
folder structure using 7zip and rename the file to test.kmz, the file
doesn't read properly in Google Earth (GE).  GE zooms into the correct
location but all I see is a red "x".  Compressing the superoverlay structure
seems to break the link between the doc.kml file and the png files.  As an
example, I have created a tiny (21 KB)  example and placed it here:

http://www.edc.uri.edu/Personal/roland/test.kmz

I am curious if someone had some insight.

All the Best,
Roland