[gdal-dev] Re: [Live-demo] Image for the GDAL overview

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sun Feb 27 05:15:07 EST 2011

Hamish,

If I understand well what you are trying to do (try to evaluate the relative
"popularity" of formats to present it graphically ?), I'm afraid the method
used here will lead to lots of false results and a biased view of the
"reality"

For example,

* http://www.google.com/search?q=GMT shows that GMT is mainly Greenwich Mean
Time, Giant Magellan Telescope, Generative Modeling Technologies, ...

* when I try "Portable Network Graphics", I get 1070000, and not 998000 (I've
the feeling that the results given by Google depend somehow of your IP
address) . And it will probably lead to far less hits than "PNG" which the
more popular term for it (but which is also Papua New Guinea...). PNG gives 1
010 000 000 hits !!!

* "Shapefile" --> 2 570 000  but "ESRI Shapefile" only 183 000

* FIT and FITS have incredible high hits, while being quite obscure formats.
The reason for that popularity burst is that they are mainly English verbs...
or FIT = Fashion Institute of Technology, Fédération internationale des
traducteurs, Florida Institute of Technology, Faculty of Information
Technology, ...

* KAK is not a very significant name (and none of the results in the first page
of Google shows a link with the format) for the JP2KAK driver, which is itself
a GDAL-only codename for JPEG2000 with Kakadu library.

* "PostgreSQL/PostGIS" --> 58 500, but "PostgreSQL" --> 9 650 000 and
"PostGIS" --> 324 000 ...

etc etc...

What would be more interesting would be to install a spy in the GDAL lib which
would connect to a web site and increase the hit count of the appropriate
driver for each successful opening of a dataset :-) And I'm pretty sure you
would see geotiff and shapefile appear in the top of the list.

Best regards,

Even