[gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 09:05:29 EST 2011

2011/1/5 Livneh Yehiyam <yehil at rafael.co.il>

> I personally will be happy to see FWTOOLS updated at least for major Gdal
> releases. I find it to be a much simpler way to distribute Gdal to my end
> users.
> I agree that OSGeo4W is more complete, but I think that for many users the
> simplicity of FWTOOLS wins.

What do you mean by 'simplicity'? Is this related to the installer which is
simpler to use? In this regard would it be much simpler to pick up the
required files and distribute that to the end used in a single .zip package?

As far as I know FWTools is based on the development version while OSGeo4W
and ms4w are mostly compiled against the stable branches (OSGeo4W may also
contain -dev packages though). This may strongly define which one is more
suitable for a particual use case. A development version contains the recent
features up to the time when the package has been built, but it may also
contain a high number of bugs temporarily, which should be fixed until the
next stable release.

Best regards,

Tamas