Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:44:37 EST 2011

2011/1/5 Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>

> However, for simplicity, a one-click installer for just GDAL/OGR for
> Windows, complete with command line tools and ready for use with the python
> bindings (and others language bindings?) would be great.

I've found it painful to find appropriate Windows executables every time
> I've need to upgrade to the latest.

Supporting multiple vesions (development/stable branches/releases, x32/x64,
multiple MSVC CRT dependencies) is quite a difficult task in a single
installer. With regards to the development version it would also be
reasonable to provide a build quite frequently to be in sync with the latest
changes in trunk. These are the main reasons I've originally set up
http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/ to provide most of the resonable combinations
as daily built packages.

I also wanted to include these files in an installer (or multiple
installers) but at the moment I don't see the real benefit of this over
extracting a single zip package, since these libraries don't require
significant preparation (like regkey entries) during the deployment. Any
further consideration in this topic would be helpful, as I may have missed
something that would also be important by a windows user.

Best regards,

Tamas