Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Wed Jan 5 18:46:31 EST 2011

Tamas,

I have a decent amount of experience programming with Python (6 years,
develop my own extension modules, etc) and I have never seen a package that
recommends you install it to a directory of your choice and then modify the
PYTHONPATH environment variable. The standard installation location is the
"site-packages" directory. See http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0250/ for
some background on that.

The GDAL team certainly could publish instructions that said "copy the
release-1500-dev\gdal\swig\python\*.py and the osgeo subdirectory directory
to a location of your choice and modify set the PYTHONPATH environment
variable to include that location" but it would be very unusual. GDAL would
likely be the only package that the user encounters with those instructions.
The PYTHONPATH environment variable would likely not even be defined
already. (Although if they have ArcGIS, it would be, because ArcGIS includes
some Python extensions that live in the ArcGIS installation dir.)

So, in sum, you could make PYTHONPATH your official solution but it would be
weird. The more traditional route would be to modify the GDAL build scripts
to invoke the existing setup.py with the arguments "bdist --formats=wininst"
to build a Windows installation package (see
http://docs.python.org/distutils/builtdist.html). Ideally, it would also
include a post-install script that could install the GDAL binaries somewhere
(such as a subdir inside \PythonXX\Lib\site-packages\gdal) and set PATH,
PROJ_LIB, GDAL_DRIVER_PATH, and GDAL_DATA to the correct things. I could
potentially help you develop that. It looks like most of what is needed is
already there.

Jason