Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Thu Jan 6 07:00:26 EST 2011

Three months ago I put an announcement on the MapServer-Users list about
a shell script I wrote to compile the whole MapServer-GDAL-PostGIS-PLR
suite, with and without PHP/Python, in a separate user directory using
only two commands. Separate installations can coexist in separate
directory trees and all parameters of all programs can be adapted for
eacht installation. Apache, PHP, PostGIS and Python are installed for
each installation separately. The binaries can be transported to
computers with the same system libraries. Since then,I tried it out on
dozens of Virtual Machines in a Cloud virtual environment on Suse,
Fedora and (prefered) Debian virtual machines, and it works for me
without glitches. It's something like a low-level replacement for
FWTools (actually, I wrote it when I heard from Frank that FWTools
wasn't supported at the moment). It's Linux-only, although porting it to
Windows should be possible with a msys/cygwin shell, even for native
compiles.

Since then I got no (zero) replies, so I don't know whether it doesn't
work, isn't interesting, or people just didn't look at it. If it's worth
your time and answers some of the questions from this discussion, please
have a look and let me know what you think of it. And that includes
"doesn't work, not interesting, not adaptable enough, downright stupid".
Here is the MS-Users posting:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/2010-October/066898.html

Cheers,

Jan