Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 08:49:22 EST 2011

On 01/06/2011 03:25 PM, Tamas Szekeres wrote:

> Assuming we install the gdal-perl modules in a standard location (not
> sure where it is), do we have a common mechanism in the perl runtime
> to find the dependent dlls without having to violate system wide
> settings (like the PATH environment variable)?

:) I'm not completely satisfied (I'm also not sure I really understand
the whole f* issue) with how Perl searches for dll's - especially dll
import libs - in Windows.

But that's configure/compile time issue. In compile time a Perl GDAL dll
(for the bindings) is created and put into some location, which is known
to Perl and Perl knows how to find it in runtime.

Assuming I've built the binaries, then in runtime (when the GDAL module
is called for) I think somebody (because the Perl GDAL module dll has a
link to GDAL dll that was put there in compile time) asks for the GDAL
dll's and they simply need to be available. Thus, if there is GDAL in
the system (for example in c:\Program Files\Share\GDAL\bin) then that
path needs to be in the PATH - I don't think there is a way around that.
The PATH may be a temporary PATH set by somebody for Perl programs, but
I think the policy should be that when you run GDAL.msi, the system
default PATH is modified to have the path to the GDAL binaries.

Best regards,

Ari