Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 6 17:02:44 EST 2011

On 1/6/11 1:51 PM, Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> 2011/1/6 Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
> This is where a typical dll hell problem is starting. The application is
> happy to load a common dll let's say a gdal17.dll, zlib1.dll,
> libcurl.dll whatever, but is not the same at it is expected to be (for
> example it depends on different CRT libraries).

yup -- it seems long, descriptive file names would help, but that
doesn't seem to be the Windows way...

OS_X hard-codes the path to shared libs when linking, which causes its
own problems, but not these ones.

I think Jason has some good ideas, though.

> To make sure about the issue I did a quick test on my devserver with a
> whereis.bat containing the following script, trying to find the location
> of some common dlls (used by gdal):
>
> @for %%e in (%PATHEXT%;.dll) do @for %%i in (%1%%e) do @if NOT
> "%%~$PATH:i"=="" echo %%~$PATH:i
>

> E:\builds>whereis zlib1
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Mono-1.2.6\bin\zlib1.dll
>
> E:\builds>whereis ssleay32
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Subversion\ssleay32.dll

so your gdal depends on Mono's zlib and Subversion's ssleay? that does
seem fragile!

Or do you mean that you have these somewhere for gdal, and they are ALSO
in those other locations?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov