Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 05:26:07 EST 2011

2011/1/7 Jason Roberts <jason.roberts at duke.edu>

> Thanks for your thoughts. Based on them, I'd recommend the following two
> things be created.
>
> 1. GDAL windows installation program, or at minimum, a wiki page that says
> how to install the GDAL libraries and utilities (executables and Python
> scripts) to \Program Files\GDAL\... Perhaps a quick compromise would be for
> Tamas's build system to produce a .zip that would have everything in a
> suitable directory structure and for wiki page to instruct the user "just
> unzip this to \Program Files\GDAL\...".

Jason,

What would be the suitable directory structure? I'm keen to provide an
installer which could place the files to the right location. By using
WIX<http://wix.sourceforge.net/>it's could be generated automatically
by the command line tools candle.exe
and light.exe during the build process easily.

However naming the install root folder to GDAL doesn't seem to be a right
thing as we provide other packages like mapserver as well. For the sake of
simplicitly I could imagine to place everything in a common folder (like
SDKBuilds) and add a shortcut for invoking a command prompt (for starting
the commandline tools) and a shortcut to uninstall the package. I would also
mention OSGeo as the root, but I'm not sure how it will violate the files if
a similar installer will ever derived from an OSGeo4W bundle. (We may
probably warn the user not to install both versions side by side)

I may also be mention that by default referring to the programsfolder in the
installation process may select different folders depending on the
architecture (Win32/Win64) or the OS version. I don't think it would be a
good way to force everything to be in  "C:\Program Files" which contains the
x64 binaries on x64 platforms for example or it may reside in various
logical drives on a particular system. It would probably be reasonable to
use something like
SHGetSpecialFolderLocation<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762203%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>to
retrieve the current location in the loader program.

> 2. GDAL Python bindings installation program. This could be easily created
> using the standard Python distutils stuff I've been mentioning, and would
> install the bindings to the normal Python place. The bindings would ideally
> be modified to check for and explicitly load libraries from \Program
> Files\GDAL\... This would eliminate the need to modify the PATH variable.

That's ok with me as a separate installer provided by distutils.

Best regards,

Tamas