Fwd: Re: [gdal-dev] FWTools and GDAL 1.7.0

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Fri Jan 7 10:37:34 EST 2011

Joaquim,

I hear your pain about having the space in the name. It would probably not
be too much trouble for the installer to allow the user to change the
installation directory. That is a basic option of most installers so it
would probably not be hard to implement with a WIX-built installer.

But I should reiterate that a requirement of this package is that the GDAL
bindings (installed as separate packages) must be able to locate the GDAL
libraries. The one approach mentioned so far is to put the binaries in a
well-known location. If the bindings were designed to look for the libraries
in a well-known location, they would be broken if the user installed them to
a different location. Therefore it is important to pick a default location
and recommend that only very knowledgeable users select a different place.
My view is that adhering to Microsoft's best practice of using \Program
Files outweighs the convenience of using a directory off a root partition
that does not have a space in the name.

An alternative idea is to store the location of the GDAL libraries in the
registry and then permitting them to be installed anywhere with no
consequences. The bindings would read the registry to determine their
location. This is also a fairly standard way to do things on Windows, but it
would be slightly more complicated for the bindings.

Jason