[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.8.0RC1 Release Candidate Prepared

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 13 08:48:30 EST 2011

On 11-01-12 11:18 PM, Greg Coats wrote:
> ls shows that every file and directory has the same (false) modification
> date and time. This makes it impossible to see when a particular source code
> file was actually last updated. Can the final GDAL source code be released
> with accurate modification dates and times? Greg

Greg,

We use "svn checkout" to get the source trip that will be packed up.  It
appears that svn checkout set the date on everything based on the checkout
time.  I have a vague recollection of trying to meet your need in the past
in some fashion but that the result was fragile in some way - perhaps it
depend on a particular version of svn or something.

In any event, I do not consider accurate "last update date" dates as a
valuable feature in a release source package and I am not inclined to
try and produce it.

I would strongly suggest you utilize svn (or svn via trac) to identify
changes between different releases or recent changes.