[gdal-dev] Geomedia mdb files

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Jan 22 11:17:57 EST 2011

Le samedi 22 janvier 2011 17:00:27, Zoltan Szecsei a écrit :

> I have just looked at www.gdal.org and not found a link to your version.

Yeah, the doc will appears in a few hours when the web site is regenerated.

> If you can spoonfeed me I can test it for you tomorrow (on a reasonable
> size & complexity of data).
>
> I either need a WinVista binary, or sourcecode & instructions (ie
> dependencies) on how to compile and use it to covert mdb to SHP, on
> Ubuntu 10.04.
> Linux is preferable. GDAL is not yet installed on this box. (but build
> essentials is).

The windows binary should be available in the tomorrow nightly builds of Tamas
: http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/ (the -developement packages, revision >=
r21548)

As far as Linux is concerned, like for the PGeo driver, we are constrainted by
the MDBTools library that provides the MDB ODBC driver, but it has been
unmaintained for many years and I find it to be quite buggy (especially when it
fetches 'big' geometry binary blobs ).

To solve this, I'm currently working on a (not yet commited) OGR driver that
relies on the Jackcess Java library ( http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ )
through JNI invocation to read MDB databases. It works quite well. Should be
ready soon hopefully.