[gdal-dev] confused about using gdal_rasterize

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:13:10 EST 2011

Ahmet,

Transparency can be easily set using the alpha channel in RGBA images. Use
the -init option to set the background to transparent. Make sure this is
equal to the value set as nodata.
You can set the nodata value using the -a_nodata option.
Make the rasterized areas visible by setting the alpha channel to 255 (or
the maximum value of that data type).

If you are burning the values using an attribute or the Z values, you will
have to create the alpha channel as a separate image and combine the images.

2011/1/26 ahmet temiz <ahmettemiz88 at gmail.com>

> hello I am confused about using gdal_rasterize
>
> I want to rasterize a geological map (vector polygons)
> and having one attributes and making nodata areas
> as transparent.
>
> how can I do that ?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Ahmet Temiz
> Jeoloji Müh.
> Planlama ve Zarar Azaltma Dairesi Başkanlığı
> Bilgi ve CBS grubu
> Eskişehir Yolu 10. km.
> Lodumlu / Ankara
> Tel : 0 312 2872680 / 1535