[gdal-dev] ABI Version Specific Plugin Loading

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 14:00:45 EST 2011

Folks,

In gdal trunk I have made changes to the way plugins are loaded for GDAL
and OGR.  Now each directory in the search path will first be checked for
a subdirectory with the ABI version as the name
(ie. "/usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/1.8").  If found that directory will be
used instead of the original directory (ie. "/usr/local/lib/gdalplugins").

I see the MacOS X code already has a concept of different framework
directories for different versions.  I did not interfere with that though
it kind of annoys me how different all this stuff works on MacOS X -
even the name of the plugins directory is different  - needlessly IMHO.

For now I am leaving this only in trunk in subversion, though I will
backport it to the OSGeo4W GDAL/OGR 1.8 package which is where I
particularly want it.

Let me know if there are any concerns or if it causes problems.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/21596