[gdal-dev] gdalinfo fails on jpeg2000 compressed nitf

Cole, Derek dcole at integrity-apps.com
Fri Jul 1 10:29:29 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have been trying to use the v2 OpenJPEG2000 driver with GDAL to read NITF files that have been compressed with jpeg2000.

When I am trying to actually load these files and display them, my software sometimes succeeds, sometimes fails, sometimes gives bogus results. I also occaisionally get a dump like this:

ERROR 1: Marker is not compliant with its position

ERROR 1: opj_read_header() failed
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0

I have tried to use gdalinfo on the image in question, and get the following:

ERROR 4: `P003.ntf' not recognised as a supported file format.

ERROR 1: Unable to open JPEG2000 image within NITF file.
Is the JP2KAK driver available?
gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'P003.ntf'.

Any ideas why it seems to be looking for JP2KAK there? I was trying to not use the kakadu driver, because it is not free. Also seems weird to me that the image does load sometimes, and not others. Very buggy feeling.