[gdal-dev] Add capability to safely link against an external libtiff (3.X) and a GDAL build with internal libtiff (4.0) support

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Mon Jul 4 07:56:05 EDT 2011

Hello,

Great news !
I don't have a lot of time right now, but setting up a test platform
with gdal trunk is high in my priority list !

About the testing, we identified two problematic cases :

[1] http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/tip/CMake/TestXTIFFOpen.cxx
Linked with '-lgdal -lgeotiff -ltiff'.
On an ubuntu machine, this program crashes when accessing a TIFF

[2] http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/file/tip/CMake/TestGDALOpen.cxx
Linked with '-lgeotiff -lgdal'
On a debian machine, this program crashes when opening a TIFF.
Not sure but I think things evolved in unstable and we have a similar
behavior as Ubuntu (would need further checking, as we don't have a
regular debian unstable nightly build...)

You might want to check those two as part of the gdal test system.
In OTB, we do this as part of the configuration phase, and print a
warning in case something fails.

Regards,
Julien