[gdal-dev] Unwanted partial transparency when clipping

Eli Adam EAdam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Jul 7 10:13:35 EDT 2011

Michael,

>>> On 7/6/2011 at 5:35 PM, in message <4E14FF42.50903 at cironline.org>, Michael
Corey <mcorey at cironline.org> wrote:
> Sure, I've uploaded samples here.
>
> http://www.mikejcorey.com/spatial/diablo-box-sample.tif
> http://www.mikejcorey.com/spatial/diablo-cutout-sample.tif

I don't notice the semi-transparency in these scaled down images.  Perhaps it is the way your viewer reads the mask?

> These are the same as the images created by the process I described (but
> scaled down).
>
> To your point about specifying size in the first step -- will that make
> the process run faster, or does it do the scaling down after it builds
> the full-resolution image?
>
> Also, I notice that my filesize always gets significantly bigger when I
> do the cutout step, which seems counter-intuitive to me since in theory
> shouldn't there be less information present once the cutout is done?

-cutline does not 'discard' any data.  The extent of the data remains the same unless you reset those extents.  You can do that with -crop_to_cutline.  Here are some details from the gdalwarp page, http://gdal.org/gdalwarp.html :

-crop_to_cutline:
    (GDAL >= 1.8.0) Crop the extent of the target dataset to the extent of the cutline.

Polygon cutlines may be used as a mask to restrict the area of the destination file that may be updated, including blending. If the OGR layer containing the cutline features has no explicit SRS, the cutline features must be in the georeferenced units of the destination file. When outputing to a not yet existing target dataset, its extent will be the one of the original raster unless -te or -crop_to_cutline are specified.

Best Regards, Eli