[gdal-dev] Change the spatial reference of a shapeile

Solimyr giannicristian at msn.com
Fri Jul 8 06:18:51 EDT 2011

Hi guys,
I have two shapefile with same features but one miss the extent and the
projection. What I want to do is copy the extent and the projection from the
first and set to the second. I did something  similar with two images using
these step:

inputimg = gdal.Open(str(fileName), GA_ReadOnly)
gdalformat= inputimg.GetDriver().ShortName
geoinput = inputimg.GetGeoTransform()
projinput= inputimg.GetProjection()
..
outimg = gdal.Open(str(result), GA_Update)
outimg.SetProjection(projinput)
outimg.SetGeoTransform(geoinput)

Do you know if there is something similar to this but for shapefile? Do you
have any suggests?
thx