[gdal-dev] Encoding (FGDB)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Jun 9 10:33:24 EDT 2011

So, the FGDB API works with (mostly) UTF16-encoded wide characters (wstring).

What is the GDAL internal standard for string encoding? Looks like
(from the OLCStringsAsUTF8 capability) there is at least a loose
standard that is looking for UTF8 narrow characters. Are there any
existing utilities for conversion from UTF16 to UTF8 and vice versa in
GDAL/OGR? We have a string2wstring function in the early FGDB code,
but as far as I can tell it is just narrowing/widening the characters,
and any non-ASCII characters would probably get screwed on the way
through.

P.