[gdal-dev] get GCP from noaa L1b

Ramiro Gonzalez ramirogonzalez at suremptec.com.ar
Wed Jun 15 09:37:08 EDT 2011

Hi, I’m using gdal c++ API.

I’d like to implement an algorithm to georeference noaa L1b images(of
Argentine in particular). The number of GCPs returned by the L1b driver are
not enough to use triangulation(midcourse solution until a better algorithm
can be implemented).

Searching gdal-dev mailing list I found:.
 * In formats/l1b/l1bdataset.cpp there is some code related to
“rfc4_geolocate” inside a “#if 0” block. See
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc4_geolocate
 * In TCK 2388 there is an attached file: lagrange.cpp to interpolate the
extra points of each line. TCK 2403 was opened but no work have been done.
 * When I use “gdalwarp –tps” to georeference an image I get “There is a
problem to invert the interpolation matrix”. This was reported in gdal-dev
mailing list. See “
http://www.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2009-May/020692.html”

Questions

There is some guideline I should follow?, Should I post in the related
tickets?.
I could modify the L1b driver to read more points in
L1BDataset::ProcessRecordHeaders. Is there a better way to get the GCPs from
the L1b image?

What can be done to improve the quality when georeferencing this kind of
images?

In ticket 2388 there is a comment about a pending FIXME, related to GCP in
the southern hemisphere. Can someone expand on this subject?

Thanks
Ramiro