[gdal-dev] hdf5image metadata problems

Alex Mantaut alexmantaut at suremptec.com.ar
Wed Jun 15 15:50:03 EDT 2011

Hi Frank:
            Thanks for the swift reply.
             Right now it opens the metadata asociated to the root, and also
the metadata asociated with all the other groups, but it doesn't open the
metadata asociated to the specified element (bug?)

regards
2011/6/15 Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>

> On 11-06-15 03:19 PM, Alex Mantaut wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>         I'm trying to open the metadata from a subdataset of an HDF5
>> file...
>>         When I open the file by it's filename and then ask for the
>> metadata it
>> returns the metadata asociated to the root and all the subdatasets.... But
>> when
>> I open the file by specifying the subdataset name to GDALOpen() and then
>> ask
>> for the metadata it returns the metadata asociated to all groups but none
>> of
>> the subdatasets...
>>         I looked a bit into the hdf5dataset code and realized that
>> this difference emerges from the fact that when GDAL opens the file
>> specifying
>> only the filename it uses hdf5dataset to open the file, but when I specify
>> the
>> subdataset to GDALOpen() it uses hdf5imagedataset instead, and it loads
>> the
>> metadata in a different way.
>>         I'm not sure of what the expected behavior is on hdf5image for
>> metadata... It should load all the metadata of the file? Just the metadata
>> asociated to the subdataset? Or should the application ask for the
>> subdataset
>> in some other way and then ask for the metadata?
>>

> Alex,
>
> I'm not sure of the details of the metadata handling, but to the extent
> possible I think opening a subdataset should return metadata specific to
> that subdataset and any "root" metadata that applies to everything in the
> .hdf file.
>
> Best regards,
> --

     Alex Mantaut
SUR Emprendimientos Tecnológicos

Perú 345  Piso 5to Oficina "B" (C1067AAG)
Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel. +54 (11) 4342-2976/84
javierurien at suremptec.com.ar
www.suremptec.com