[gdal-dev] CreateCopy() with same metadata, different raster data

Cole, Derek dcole at integrity-apps.com
Wed Jun 15 18:30:31 EDT 2011

What about using the VRT driver? Is that for the situation I am describing? According to the CreateCopy documentation:

It is intended that CreateCopy() will often be used with a source dataset which is a virtual dataset allowing configuration of band types, and other information without actually duplicating raster data (see the VRT driver). This is what is done by the gdal_translate utility for example.

And according to the first example of Programatic creation of VRT datasets on http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html

This looks like it creates clone of everything but the raster data. Can I basically do this when I am loading my image for the first time, then when my outputs are ready, open this, create a copy using the NITF driver, and then write to the bands of the NITF driver using RasterIO?

Thanks

Derek