[gdal-dev] hdf5image metadata problems

Alex Mantaut alexmantaut at suremptec.com.ar
Thu Jun 16 09:05:42 EDT 2011

Hi Antonio,

For what I discussed with Frank it seemed that the expected behavior was to
get the only the data asociated to that subdataset (plus some aditional data
from root and the other groups) I wasn't sure untill you confirmated...

Well, right now when I open a specific subdataset it gets only the raster
band asociated to that dataset, but when I try to open the metadata
(with GetMetadata() or GetMetadataItem()) from that subdataset it opens the
metadata from all the groups (as expected) but it doesn't get the metadata
asociated to that subdataset... Did I do something incorrectly when opening
the metadata from the subdataset?

 The line suggested in the ticket:
        ReadGlobalAttributes( TRUE );

Was a way to get around the problem, but now that I'm sure that
hdf5imagedataset doesn't need to read all the metadata, it's not a suitable
solution to the defect...

Right now I found another way to get the metadata from the subdataset, by
getting the rasterband first, and then asking for the metadata asociated to
that raster band ( it seems a overly convoluted to get the metadata
asociated to that subdataset...) I'm guessing that the expected behavior is
to get the information directly through GetMetadata() directly...

regards

2011/6/15 Antonio Valentino <antonio.valentino at tiscali.it>

> Hi Frank, hi Alex,
>
> Il 15/06/2011 22:34, Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
> > On 11-06-15 03:50 PM, Alex Mantaut wrote:
> >> Hi Frank:
> >>              Thanks for the swift reply.
> >>               Right now it opens the metadata asociated to the root,
> >> and also
> >> the metadata asociated with all the other groups, but it doesn't open
> the
> >> metadata asociated to the specified element (bug?)
> >
> > Alex,
> >
> > It sounds like a defect to me, yes.
> >
> > I would suggest filing a ticket that carefully documents the
> > problem with a supporting example file.
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> The current behavior looks fine to me.
>
> If one opens a specific subdataset then only one "HDF5 dataset object"
> can be accessed and it is mapped on GDAL raster bans n. 1.
> All other "HDF5 dataset object" in the h5 file are ignored by the
> HDF5ImageDataset so there is no reason IMHO to make their metadata
> available in some manner.
>
> Metadata associated to all HDF5 groups (including the root one) are
> available in any case and accessible via GDAL dataset metadata.
>
> my two cents
>
> --
> Antonio Valentino

     Alex Mantaut
SUR Emprendimientos Tecnológicos

Perú 345  Piso 5to Oficina "B" (C1067AAG)
Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel. +54 (11) 4342-2976/84
alexmantaut at suremptec.com.ar
www.suremptec.com