[gdal-dev] Michigan GeoRef - Michigan Oblique Mercator - EPSG:3078

Howard Y hayamaguchi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 11:06:28 EDT 2011

All,

I was wondering if there has been any progress in addressing the various
problems associated with correctly projecting to and from Michigan Oblique
Mercator (EPSG:3078 and its brethren), as brought up in tickets 2475, 3038,
and 3311, among others.

As you may know, the State of Michigan, USA, distributes GIS vector and
raster files in the Michigan Oblique Mercator ("Michigan GeoRef")
projection.  Commercial software packages from ESRI and others seem to be
able to handle data projected in this format, but open source software
packages that depend on GDAL/OGR routines do not seem to be able, for the
most part, to do so.  I've found QGIS and MapWindow to be among the software
packages that cannot successfully handle Michigan GeoRef using existing
definitions for EPSG:3078 and its kin.  (The only exception seems to be
uDig.  For some reason, uDig appears to be able to bring in a Michigan
GeoRef shapefile and successfully reproject it to Michigan State Plane
Coordinates, for example.)

I feel that this problem may be the single biggest factor that stands in the
way of wider adoption of open source GIS software in Michigan.  I realize
that you are all busy dealing with a ton of other issues and tickets, and I
am grateful for all that you've done for us out here.  But if the Michigan
GeoRef issue were successfully addressed, it would really provide a great
boost to open source software their enthusiasts in our state!

Thank you for your time, and keep up the good work!

Howard Yamaguchi