[gdal-dev] How to apply a costum shift grid?

frederick keusch frederick.keusch at digimapas.cl
Tue Jun 28 09:25:36 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am working here in Chile and we have a lot of earthquakes here, the last
big one like a year ago. So the problem is that I have a lot of
georeferenced images, but georeferenced before the earthquake. We thought
the best way would be to calculate a shift grid and apply it with gdalwarp
to all of the images. The only thing I would have to do is to apply the grid
from one datum to the same datum instead of from one datum to another, this
should be possible, shouldn´t it?
Reading a lot in the mailing-list I found a link to an australian
govermental site, where they provide a program to convert from NTv2_ASCII to
NTv2_GSB. So I created an Ntv2_ASCII file with our shift values and
converted it with this program to an .gsb-file and tried to apply that file
with gdalwarp to our images. But no matter what I tried, nothing happened,
the shift never was applied. I saw a lot of examples of possible commands
searching in the mailing-list and tried everyone, also in nearly every
possible combination but nothing lead to an applied shift. So I am a bit
desperate right now, hoping someone can help me a bit or give an advice.
Here in short what I have to do:
Apply a shift grid from UTM 18s WGS84 to UTM 18s WGS84 in order to apply the
coordinate changes of our images owing of the earthquake last year.

I would apreciate any kind of help and thank a lot in advance,

Frederick