[gdal-dev] identify attribute in GDALRasterBand::RasterBand

Xunlei Wu xunlei at renci.org
Mon Mar 14 14:07:51 EDT 2011

Hi All,
I am a novice user of GDAL. I am using GDAL to decode GRIB and GRIB2 files. I followed
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_tutorial.html and http://www.gdal.org/gdal_datamodel.html. However, I still have trouble accessing metadata from a GDALRasterBand object and GDALDataset object. For instance, how do I know the count of Metadata items in the return value of GDALMajorObject::GetMetadata()? I was not sure what to put in as "pszName" in GDALMajorObject::GetMEtadataItem(). And is it the right way to retrieve attributes of a GRIB data file? I know a GRIB file contains at least moisture and pressure at each grid point. I have no idea how to GDAL to identify which GDALRasterBand in GDALDataset and their units for instance. Is there a way to tell the elevation of a particular GDALRasterBand?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Best,
8gpus