[gdal-dev] Many files over the network

Kyle Ellison kellison at geocue.com
Mon Mar 14 17:23:11 EDT 2011

Often, we need to open many raster files over a network connection with
thousands of other files residing in the same directory.

Previously, we were using version 1.7.0 of GDAL (from FW Tools), and we used
SetConfigOption("GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN", "TRUE")

to suppress the automatic search for sibling files.  This approach served us
well.

We upgraded to 1.8.0.  It was quite a bit slower opening the raster files.
I was able to get GDAL built in debug and stepped through the code and
discovered the following:

1.       It searches for several files containing RPC metadata.

2.       It searches for files for PAM as well.

I was able to use SetConfigOption("GDAL_PAM_ENABLED", "NO") to suppress
searching for PAM files.

However, I do not see a way to suppress searching for RPC metadata.  Does
anyone know of a way to do this or other workarounds? If there is no way to
currently do this, is the community open to adding this option?

I apologize if this question has been posted previously, but I haven't yet
found a convenient way to search the archives.

Thanks,

Kyle