[gdal-dev] image quality with pyramids (with gdal_retile)

Devrim Baris Acar devrimbaris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 08:18:50 EDT 2011

Hi,
I am building a pyramid from a 650 MB geotiff file (rgb) , with the
following command from fwtools 2.4.6 on a win32 box

gdal_retile -levels 5 -pyramidOnly -targetDir pyramid bathymetry.

I loaded these image files to geoserver and see that when I zoomed to the
higheest  available level, the images are "degraded in quality" in
comparison to original one.
Also , I expected that the resulting pyramid size to be bigger than the
original file size, but it is NOT.

What is the reason for this , any ideas, and solutions?

Best regards,

Devrim Baris Acar