[gdal-dev] Calculate footprints of shapefiles

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Wed Mar 16 06:11:10 EDT 2011

Chaitanya

thanks for the hints. So a sort of Union operation seems to be necessary. I need to check how fast that is with OGR on larger shapefiles (I want to store in PostGIS just the footprint, not the full geometry collection). The ConvexHull could be a good alternative to a simplified boundary.

I understand how the normal Union() works, it merges 2 geometries into a new one. But I don't get it what UnionCascade() is doing. It applies a Union on a single geometry and returns the new geometry, what is it actually unioning/merging then?

Regards,
Armin

-------- Original-Nachricht --------