[gdal-dev] accessing zip files by URL

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Thu Mar 24 18:47:06 EDT 2011

> Ah... well actually reading in a .tar or a .tar.gz is now supported (
> http://gdal.org/cpl__vsi_8h.html#d6dd983338849e7da4eaa88f6458ab64 ). Seems
> that I have changed my mind since. But seeking will still be very slow of
> course (especially if you combine with /vsicurl !). Ok, I'm going to rectify
> the page about that point.

Even,

Still one further point on this matter. This works fine with the
promised slowness (fair enough)

gdalinfo
/vsitar/vsicurl/http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/gtopo30/global/w020n90.tar.gz/W020N90.DEM

but the file name is case dependent. I mean, this doesn't work

gdalinfo
/vsitar/vsicurl/http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/gtopo30/global/w020n90.tar.gz/w020n90.dem

I'm not sure what is the right thing to do here but as a Win (and
occasional Mac or Linus)  user I guess that I was expecting no case
dependency.

Joaquim