[gdal-dev] Re: OGR/Spatialite patches

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Mar 30 16:07:13 EDT 2011

Hi Alessandro,

(CC'ing gdal-dev)

Impressive work !

My remarks and questions:

1) Could you confirm that all this work might be included under the usual GDAL
X/MIT licence ? Due to the significant code addition for the 3D geometry
support, you might want to add your copyright in the header of
ogrsqlitelayer.cpp.

2) It would be really convenient to have different patches for the different
issues that could be applied sequentially. Applying all this stuff in a single
gulp will make bisection and analysis of the changes quite painfull. I've
skimmed quickly through the whole diff and your README and I can see several
patches, preferably in the following order (if possible) :
	1) 3D geometry support
	2) use the spatialite SQL functions and drop the manual workarounds to
avoid using spatialite functions
	3) general cleanup to remove the use of ancient sqlite API (that seem not
to be directly related to spatialite support)

I'd be in favor of dropping the stuff related to #ifdef SPATIALITE_AMALGAMATION
for now. Or it might be traced under a different ticket

3) From your patch I can see that my efforts to produce a spatialite database
without linking to spatialite were vain. I'm not that surprised however.... So
the question is : is there really an interest in allowing the user to create a
spatialite database without linking to spatialite if that database cannot be
directly used by other spatialite-enabled software ant that the user must
"repair" it afterwards with the procedure at the end of your README.txt. This
really sounds to be compatible with only super power users... We might also
want to be sure that no write/update/delete operations can happen to a
spatialite database if it is opened with a driver not linked against
libspatialite to avoid corrupting it.
However I think it is still desirable to be able to read a spatialite database
without requiring linking to spatialite.

4) We must be aware that using the ALTER TABLE ... ADD COLUMN ... stuff will
produce databases (even regular SQLite ones) that will not be compatible with
the latest FWTools for Windows that uses an ancient sqlite versions. Might not
be a big deal however because I somehow remember that dropping a new version
of sqlite3.dll in the bin directory make it work again.

5) Would you be willing to update/extend the autotest/ogr/ogr_sqlite.py test
to ensure that it still passes and add some tests for all the new stuff,
particularly the 3D geometry support.

6) From your README.TXT, can I assume that your changes have been tested
against regular libsqlite3 (without linking to spatialite) with a spatialite
database (and also a regular sqlite database not using spatialite geometries),
and against libspatialite 2.3.1 and libspatialite 2.4.0 for spatialite
databases ?

7) A minor code note : it could be interesting to replace the magic values for
the geometry types by appropriate #define with symbolic names.

8) I've seen you have removed the tests to detect int overflows, for example
"if( nPointCount < 0 || nPointCount > INT_MAX / (2 * 8))" has become "if(
nPointCount < 0)". Could you justify it ? I still think that they are
necessary to avoid issues in lines below if the nPointCount value is huge
enough.

9) About your [3c] patch. Yes indeed this is a painfull issue with shapefiles
(the format I mean, not the driver) where we cannot know in advance if it only
contains LINESTRING or MULTILINESTRING. Currently the shapefile driver chooses
to report the layer as having LINESTRING geometry type. Maybe Frank can
comment about this. I imagine this was decided because some application
software wouldn't know to deal with multi-geometry. But I can confirm that
inserting such shapefiles with mixed linestring/multilinestring geometries into
Postgis requires a -nlt flag to the ogr2ogr command line. To get back to your
patch, I'm wondering what will happen if we try to insert a feature with a
LINESTRING geometry into a layer created with the LINESTRING geometry type,
that has been "promoted" to MULTILINESTRING by the driver ?

Best regards,

Even